General Discussion and Owners' Polls :  Charles Church and Persimmon Owners' Forum The forum for Charles Church and Persimmon Homes... share your experiences.
What is the indefinable quality about a Charles Church home that makes it so special, and makes so many aspire to owning one? Good question, this is the place for your reviews, comments and experiences, good and bad. Look out for the snagging list polls. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
messageThinking of buying a Charles Church new build home?
Posted by: Illana (IP Logged)
Date: Saturday, 27-Aug-2011, 18:40:49

Can someone help me, I am thinking of buying a Charles Church home, but I have just been reading some very bad reviews about workmanship, people having nightmares with the spec and all sorts.

Can anyone give me a some positive press? Or some real life experiences, good or bad??

Thank you
Illana

messageRe: Thinking of buying a Charles Church new build home?
Posted by: carterma (IP Logged)
Date: Tuesday, 30-Aug-2011, 21:58:16

Hi Illana

Forwarned is forarmed, you need to go into any new house purchase with your eyes wide open, believe nothing unless it is in writing, accept that you have absolutely no control over the build if purchasing off plan and that the process you are entering into favours the builder rather than the buyer.

We bought a Charles Church home off plan in Feb 2010 and had a very stressful transaction from day 1, we exchanged contracts in April 2010 and completed the purchase in July 2010. Between April and July we were living in rented accommodation so luckily we had time to get some of the issues below sorted before we moved in.

To cut a very long story short and to keep the story in context, we are very happy with the house we have purchased but we have had to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort in getting some elements of the build and finish to our reasonably good standard and not the poor standard the site team were prepared to deliver.

Most of the many problems have been superficial and easily remedied but should have been picked up by the site team before we moved in, but Persimmon year end in June seemed to get in the way and the house was rushed to completion in order to secure the sale in the 2009/2010 financial year. We have spent the past 12 months having these problems resolved by the various trade subbies and/or the customer care team, who have been very good by the way.

Our problems included;
Dishwasher not plumbed correctly
Cooker that didn't fit due to location of gas pipe
Washer and dryer didn't fit in the utility
Boiler was replaced on day of handover
Sunken drive and garden along drain runs
Very wet garage
Noisy internal waste pipe from upstairs bathroom
Loose flags
Shoddy pointing to external stonework
Condensation and mould in loft space
Electric and Gas cupboards damaged
Window frames damaged
Downpipes not connected to water drains
Leaking (internal) external tap
Cracked tiles in the bathrooms
Incorrect radiators fitted to bathrooms
Full regloss of all woodwork thoughout the house

I could go on but you probably get the idea by now.

The frustration is with getting things done within a timely manner and having days off for appointments to be broken with no warning. Also, the site team talking @#$%& most of the time and unwilling to accept there was a problem on occasion.

The main good points were that the build was generally good, the internal plastering was very good, as I managed to view it before it was over painted and the discount for purchasing off plan was good.

For information, I've worked in Construction/Civil Engineering most of my career and I do have reasonably high standards, but when you pay good money and usually a premium for what you believe to be a quality new build house then I will accept nothing less than a good build and finish, no matter how good or bad the site team are.....and don't they now know it ;-)

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

Date: Wednesday, 31-Aug-2011, 14:23:21

Hi,

Thank you so much for your email, it is very helpful.

We of course had born in mind that this is a new build, therefore there is always the chance of things not being perfect as they try to sell you in the brochures and by the sales team.

I am pleased to hear from your email that in the end things went well for you, but it would be a nightmare to go through what you did, I will be speaking to the sales manager about my concerns, especially as Charles Church year end is end of December, which is when our house is meant to be built by!

Can you tell me one more thing, where is your new build, obv you don't have to say your address, but just the area/town?

Illana

Date: Wednesday, 31-Aug-2011, 20:22:12

Hi Illana

3rd attempt at posting and each one shorter than the last.

Oakroyd at Birkenshaw, lovely development, reasonably quiet with very good neighbours.

Keep us posted on your purchase.

Mick

Date: Friday, 02-Sep-2011, 13:57:10

Thanks Mick,

I will let you know, we are seeing them tomorrow!

Illana

Date: Wednesday, 21-Sep-2011, 20:54:39

Hi Illana

How did you get on?

Cheers

Mick

Date: Monday, 26-Sep-2011, 13:54:36

After just writing a very long email, which disappeared!

In short, we have signed the reservation form and have instructed our lawyer - this was after spending avery long time with Charles Church and telling them about the feedback we received from forums like these.

I can only hope that they follow through with what they have promised and guaranteed, otherwise we are going to be living in rented accomadation for a very long time!

Thanks again for your help and advise.

Kind Regards
Illana

Date: Monday, 26-Sep-2011, 16:56:03

Hi Illana

You need to ensure you have logged in before posting, as it seems to lose it.

Congratulations, which site was it again?

I think you can take a further positive from our recent dealings with Charles Church, as the Customer Services Manager as at long last been involved and he's sorting the 4 final remaining items that need resolving.

The long and the short of it is, if it's workmanship it can and most probably will be sorted but if money is involved then you'll struggle unless it's specified, as in our experience they just will not budge an inch.

Good luck and let us have some progress feedback as you take your new journey, it can be exciting and good fun!

Mick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Global Forum Statistics
Threads: 191, Posts: 247, Users: 419
This forum is powered by Phorum.