Press Articles etc :  Charles Church and Persimmon Owners' Forum The forum for Charles Church and Persimmon Homes... share your experiences.
This is the place to discuss press or other published articles written about Charles Church or Persimmon Homes 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
messagePersimmon - The Daily Mail, 17 Dec. 2008, "Boy, 4, crushed to death by collapsed 50kg stone mantelpiece 'held up by plaster'"
Posted by: Admin (IP Logged)
Date: Thursday, 25-Dec-2008, 16:34:09

messageRe: Persimmon - The Daily Mail, 17 Dec. 2008, "Boy, 4, crushed to death by collapsed 50kg stone mantelpiece 'held up by plaster'"
Posted by: UnhappyCustomer (IP Logged)
Date: Tuesday, 08-Sep-2009, 11:57:42

So very sorry for Matthew Green, and his parents David and Gail Green.

But has the industry, specifically Persimmon plc really learnt anything from this?

With regards to Persimmon Homes, I find these newspaper articles on consequences of their business methods shock me - 24 point inspection (quote "24-point check on all building works, including foundations, plumbing, wiring, blockwork and cavities"), I saw problems with their checks time and time again, especially plumbing from leaking to plain unsafe/dangerous. When you see the site manager, the directors, turning a blind eye to serious construction faults (years after this accident), it sickens me more.

Why the judge stopped short at only claiming - "The lack of national industry standards and regulation for the fitting of fire surrounds, including training, installation, quality inspection, secondary review and audit paper trails, were also a contributory factor." - baffles me.

We see and witness a lack of standards within Persimmon plc (principally Charles Church Homes, NHBC 'warranty?') across far more areas than just the 'fitting of fire surrounds', and we found evidence of them specifically covering over and hiding serous faults within a home. Not to mention leaving dangers elements on display, such as electrical sockets dangling from the wall.

http://www.24dash.com/news/Housing/2008-12-19-Mantelpiece-fixing-blunder-led-to-four-year-olds-death-inquest

http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles/2008/12/22/63325/boy-crushed-to-death-by-fireplace-collapse-in-persimmon-house.html - here the article says:- A spokesman Persimmon Homes also blamed the lack of standards for the accident. He added that if they had appointed a competent subcontractor, and if KD Childs had applied sufficient mortar during the installation, "the accident would probably not have happened". Since the death of Matthew Green, Persimmon Homes has had to carry our repair work on around 120 other fireplaces.

I'd pray this would have been a wake-up call for them, but it appears not, seems the same kind of denial for the real wider problem that one sees in their customer service staff. I question, what they've done to fix the country wide floor issues (neighbour showed me photographs from various developments, and explained the specifications of the lowest specification floor joists they use, estimated over 29,000 in labour to fix), the central heating systems installed while ignoring manufacturers instructions along with British Gas and IGEM advice and recommendations, and the little things like not applying wood preservative or knotting solution.

Makes it a maintenance headache (Charles Church staff, say one should redecorate at end of first season), living hell & owners nightmare. I would now, never buy a new home from Persimmon or Charles Church, the risk of big problems and poor customer service is too much.

messageRe: Persimmon - The Daily Mail, 17 Dec. 2008, "Boy, 4, crushed to death by collapsed 50kg stone mantelpiece 'held up by plaster'"
Posted by: Admin (IP Logged)
Date: Saturday, 18-Jan-2014, 13:46:09

Cowboy builder fined 10,000 after fireplace his workmen fitted with GLUE collapsed onto four-year-old boy and killed him:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349069/Cowboy-builder-fined-10-000-fireplace-workmen-fitted-GLUE-collapsed-year-old-boy-killed-him.html

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Global Forum Statistics
Threads: 186, Posts: 242, Users: 414
This forum is powered by Phorum.